As the Halloween season nears its pinnacle, it is crucial to keep your smile safe. Don’t forget to practice optimum oral health care techniques such as brushing and flossing daily. In addition, make a checklist of all the things you can do to diminish your risk of dental damage during the holiday. Consider the following techniques:
– If you have any candy that is lying around, get rid of it after Halloween is over. Surplus candy can leave you snacking for weeks on end, which can prolong your exposure to tooth decay.
– Stay away from hard candies that can increase your risk of tooth chipping and cracking.
– Stay away from sticky and chewy sweets that can loiter in your mouth long after consumption and increase the rate at which tooth decay occurs.
– Swap out sugary sweets for healthy treats.
– For additional oral health care, visit your dentist for bi-annual professional cleanings and regular checkups.
– If you want your child to enjoy all the fun that comes from trick-or-treating without the risks to their teeth, consider a rewards program that exchanges their candy for healthier alternatives, including swapping their treats out for money, toys, or similar rewards.
Steven Rattner DDS wishes you all a safe and happy Halloween! If you would like to book an appointment with Dr. Steven Rattner, please call us at 301-474-8277, or stop by our office in College Park, Maryland. We look forward to speaking with you soon!